Suspended Installation Open Call
The proposal selected will be one that best reflects on our state of environmental interdependence and how our actions today can affect the well-being of our future generations and our planet.
The winning artist or artist team (“artist”) best emphasizes on our world not only as it is, but as it could be and shines a light on the positive effects of environmental awareness and its impact.
Extended Deadline: Earth Day, April 22nd, 2021 - 11:59 pm.
Acceptance Notification: By April 30th, 2021
Installation Location: Arcana - 2512 Mission St. San Francisco, CA
Duration of Exhibition: Minimum 1 full year from the day of installation completion
- Proposal will be awarded a total of $2,000 and up to $500 in material cost or equipment rental
- Selected artist will be promoted on Arcana’s website & social media for the duration of the exhibition
- Selected artwork will be exhibited at Arcana’s location and available for public viewing during hours of operation for a full year
Criteria & Condition
- Selected artwork will best demonstrate innovation and creativity in design
- Educational and interactive proposals are highly encouraged
- Any medium is accepted with the exception of any material harmful to the environment
- The installation should be a three-dimensional art piece and suspended anywhere at the space where public has access to (including our permanent shared space (outdoor), porch, center court, hallways and bathrooms).
- Minimum head clearance of 9 feet from the ground floor
- Artwork can consist of one piece or a series of art pieces
- Artwork cannot be overly heavy if it is suspended from the ceiling. Please include in your proposal how it can be installed with posts or against ceiling structures or walls.
- Artwork for sale incur a 30% commission
- Artwork can only be de-installed after completion of the full year exhibition period.
- Only Bay Area based artists are eligible to submit proposals
- Artists of color, LGBTQ+ artists and women are encouraged to apply
- The artist should be committed to installation/repair and de-installation of the art work for a full year after completion of the installation
- The art work must be able to be safely secure
About Arcana’s Art Program
We are opening our doors for the first time in spring 2021. Arcana is an urban greenhouse, serving healthy nourishments, growing houseplants as well as edible plants in the heart of the Mission District in San Francisco. Our community space and gallery is set to promote local artists and is calling for expression of all mediums to be submitted.
Negative impacts, such as air and water pollution, overfarming, overfishing, harmful mining and drilling, excessive deforestation, improper waste disposal place us and our surroundings at increased risk of creating imbalance and inequality.
On the contrary, we can see the positive impacts of recycling, repurposing, reusing, and refusing single-use plastics, supporting policy makers who commit to protecting our environment and specially growing community gardens, building walkable communities, and investing in clean energy production leads to harmony and well-being of our communities.
Amid this year of revelation and re-evaluation of the state of our world, we look forward to selecting artists for expressions of hope and wisdom in the creation of a more sustainable world in order to protect our health and the health of our planet for generations to come.
How to Apply
- PDF file including a 300-500 word written proposal
- Images of your proposed installation (up to 10 Images)
- This could be either images of a completed installation or 3D renders or hand painted sketches
- Artist Information and CV
- Additional information about ways to secure the work, size, dimensions and weight measures.
NOTE: Attach PDF and JPG files to your email and do not paste anything in the body of the email.
- Failure to follow these instructions will result in disapproval of your proposal.
Proposals, questions and request for appointment to visit the space in person can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org